What is the Best Pageant Music for Classical Singers?
One of the most successful pageant talents of all is classical singing.
In fact, many Miss Americas have won the talent competition …and the crown …. with classical singing talents:
- Yolande Betbeze, Miss America 1951 (Caro Nome from Rigoletto)
- Dorothy Benham, Miss America 1977 (Adele’s Laughing Song)
- Susan Powell, Miss America 1981 (Lucy’s Aria from Menotti’s The Telephone)
- Katie Stam, Miss America 2009 (Via Dolorosa)
- Laura Kaepeller, Miss America 2012 (Il Bacio)
When compared with the overall number of singers competing in pageants, classical singers have a surprisingly high percentage of winners, making classical singing a strong choice for singers to consider when deciding upon their pageant talent.
However, since some judges don’t appreciate classical talents (“Oh no, another opera singer!”), showmanship is the absolutely the secret to making such pageant performances more appealing to judges.
“Pick something that has some flash in it and some dramatic qualities, something that you can get into,” recommends Kristin Huffman, a classical vocalist, national talent winner, and runner-up to Miss America 1990. “I think being a good actress is almost as important as how your voice sounds because a lot of people can’t relate to opera. Get right in front of the judges and use your facial expressions. Just speak to them with your eyes,” she says. “I think that is definitely what sells it.”
There is no better example of the power of acting, facial expressions and body language during a classical vocal talent than Susan Powell, Miss America 1981, who performed a wonderful, comically animated rendition of “Lucy’s Aria” from Gian Carlo Menotti’s opera “The Telephone”. If you haven’t seen this pageant talent, we encourage you to find a video of Susan’s performance and study it. hen it comes to operatic singing with a comedic flare, it doesn’t get any better.
Examples Pageant Songs for Classical Singers
- Adele’s Laughing Song
- Caro Nome
- This Is My Beloved
- My Heart at Thy Sweet Voice
- Via Dolorosa
- Il Bacio
- The Jewel Song
- Lucy’s Aria
Dorothy Benham, Miss Minnesota, is considered to be one of the most gifted classical singers ever to compete at the Miss America Pageant. She won the talent competition performing a gorgeous rendition of Adele’s Laughing Song.
- Your Pageant Talent Costuming Sets the Mood for Your Performance
- Best Pageant Music for Dance, Ballet, Gymnastics, Baton, Acrobatics in the Talent Competition
- Pageant Costuming for Dancers, Baton, Gymnastics in Talent Competition
- Outfits for Pageant Instrumental Talents | Costuming for Pageant Musicians
- What Should Pageant Singers Wear? | Best Pageant Costuming for Vocalists
- What Judges Look for in the Pageant Talent Competition
- Pageant Talent Tips for Singers
- Tips for Classical Singers in Pageants
- Best Pageant Music for Singers
- Best Pageant Talent Music for Musicians
- Pageant Music for Classical Musicians and Dancers
- Pageant Dancers Have it Made! The Many Types of Dance Used as Pageant Talents
- How to Prepare for the Pageant Talent Competition