Congratulations to Maryland’s new Miss USA Nana Meriwether. The former 1st runner-up has assumed the title vacated by new Miss Universe, Olivia Culpo
New York, NY – January 9, 2013 – Donald J. Trump and the Miss Universe Organization officially crowned Nana Meriwether Miss USA 2012 in a special ceremony held today at Trump Tower. The 27-year old beauty assumes the role after reigning Miss USA Olivia Culpo captured the Miss Universe title on December 19, 2012 in Las Vegas.
Formally Miss Maryland USA, Meriwether was raised in Potmomac, Maryland and is an accomplished student and athlete. She began her early years attending Sidwell Friends School, best known as the current and former school of the Obama daughters and Chelsea Clinton. She went on to become a star athlete for the UCLA Women’s Volleyball Team helping lead the squad to the NCAA Final Four during her senior year. Along the way, she broke three NCAA volleyball records, was a two-time All American, was featured in Sports Illustrated, and graduated with a degree in Political Science. She went on to complete her post graduate premedical science studies at USC in 2011 and soon after clinched the title of Miss Maryland USA.
“Being named Miss USA is a dream come true for me,” said newly crowned Miss USA Nana Meriwether. “I am looking forward to this amazing opportunity and hope to use this title to raise awareness for my non-profit The Meriwether Foundation, which focuses on improving the health and well-being of rural villages in five countries in Southern Africa.”
The MISS USA 2012 prize package includes:
- a custom diamond tiara and jewelry designed by Diamond Nexus
- a scholarship from the New York Film Academy
- hair care products and tools from Farouk Systems
- an assortment of high fashion bracelets made in Rwanda by women of the Same Sky Trade Initiative
- an eveningwear wardrobe by Sherri Hill
- a swimwear wardrobe by Kooey Australia
- a shoe wardrobe from Chinese Laundry
- make-up from Rain Cosmetics
- sun care products from Australian Gold
- luxury accommodations in a New York City apartment for the duration of her reign, including living expenses
- a salary as Miss USA
- personal services including membership to Gravity Fitness and hair services from John Barrett Salon
- modeling portfolio by leading fashion photographer Fadil Berisha
- dermatology and skincare services provided by Dr. Cheryl Thellman-Karcher
- professional health and nutrition consultation by Tanya Zuckerbrot, MS, RD and dental services by Dr. Jan Linhart, D.D.S.
- casting opportunities and professional representation by the Miss Universe Organization
- extensive travel opportunities representing sponsors and charitable partners
- access to various New York City events including movie premiers and screenings
- Broadway shows and launch parties; consultation with Miss Universe Organization’s Official Fashion Consultant, Alisha Crutchfield and access to a personal appearance wardrobe
- professional media/public relations training and representation by Rubenstein Public Relations
About the Miss USA® Pageant
The Miss Universe Organization, a Donald J. Trump and NBC Universal joint venture, empowers role models of beauty, health and leadership for young women of today. As part of the Miss Universe Organization, Miss USA is dedicated to partnering with charities around the world, and to increasing awareness of breast and ovarian cancers. For more information, visit: www.missusa.com.
Miss Universe Organization
Rubenstein Public Relations