Sundquist earns Miss Nevada title, while Smith is named Miss Nevada’s Outstanding Teen
Las Vegas – Two nights of exciting competition culminated with the crowning of Elko native Randi Sundquist as the 2012 Miss Nevada while Ellie Smith of Henderson was named 2012 Miss Nevada’s Outstanding Teen. The pageant was held July 2 and 3 at the Casablanca Resort and Casino in Mesquite, Nev.
Sundquist will begin preparing for the 2013 Miss America pageant which will be held in January in Las Vegas at PlanetHollywood Resort & Casino, while Smith will travel in August to Orlando, Fla., for Miss America’s Outstanding Teen competition at the Linda Chapman Theatre inside the Orange County Convention Center.
“I’m a little numb right now but I’m so overjoyed and so excited,” Sundquist said. “I’ve worked really hard for this and I knew if it was God’s plan for me then he would put this in my life. Winning Miss Nevada has truly been a blessing. Words cannot express how honored and grateful I am.”
Both titleholders share the personal platform of preventing youth violence and bullying. They will travel the state throughout their year promoting their platforms, as well as the national platform of Children’s Miracle Network, at speaking engagements, school assemblies and other community appearances.
“I feel like I’m in a dream right now,” Smith said. “This year I want to spread my platform as much as I can and be a positive role model for teens and kids all across the state of Nevada.”
The Miss Nevada court included first runner-up Diana Sweeney of Moundhouse, Nev., second runner-up Elizabeth Mercado, third runner-up Alyssa D’Agostino, and fourth runner-up Ashley Tarchione, all of Las Vegas. Non-finalist interview award went to Jessika Wass of Gardnerville, Nev., and Marisela Avitia of Carson City received the non-finalist talent award. On Monday night, Mercado won the overall talent award with her vocal performance.
The Miss Nevada’s Outstanding Teen court was completed with first runner-up Sabrina Singh of Henderson, second runner-up Audrey Morris of Las Vegas, third runner-up Katarina Clark of Reno and fourth runner-up Paris Regan of Carson City. Non-finalist interview award went to Joy Thompson of Las Vegas and non-finalist talent was given to Makenzie St. Cyr of Reno. During Monday night’s show, Smith won the overall talent award with a classical vocal selection.
Twelve stunning young women vied for the title of Miss Nevada while 16 beautiful teens competed for the Miss Nevada’s Outstanding Teen crown. The newly crowned 2012 Miss Nevada moves on to the 2013 Miss America pageant held in January in Las Vegas at Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino. The 2012 Miss Nevada’s Outstanding Teen will travel in August to Orlando, Fla., for Miss America’s Outstanding Teen Competition at the Linda Chapman Theatre inside the Orange County Convention Center.
“We could not be more thrilled with the contestants that are competing for both titles this year,” said Amy Hacker, Executive Director of the Miss Nevada Organization. “Nevada is full of talented, beautiful women and this quite possibly could be our strongest group of contestants yet. We are excited for these ladies to take the stage in July and fight for the opportunity of a lifetime to represent the Silver State.”
On night number one of the competition, the Miss contestants took part in the on-stage question and talent portions of the competition while the Teen contestants performed their talents for the panel of judges. At the end of the evening, talent awards were handed out to the top Miss and Teen contestant. The following evening, the Miss contestants competed in evening wear and swimsuit and the Teen contestants took the stage in fitness wear, evening wear and on-stage question. Earlier in the week all the contestants took part in the private interview competition.
The two-night event culminated with the crowing of the new titleholders by 2011 Miss Nevada Alana Lee and 2011 Miss Nevada’s Outstanding Teen Bailey Gumm.
2012 Miss Nevada Contestants
- Miss Carson City – Vannesa Macis – Carson City
- Miss Douglas County – Jessika Paige Wass – Gardnerville, Nev.
- Miss Elko County – Madison James – Elko, Nev.
- Miss Greater Las Vegas – Elizabeth Mercado – Las Vegas
- Miss Lake Mead – Alyssa D’Agostino – Las Vegas
- Miss Mesquite – Emily Rappleye – Mesquite, Nev.
- Miss Northern Counties – Aimee Hull – Spring Creek, Nev.
- Miss Reno – Marisela Avitia – Carson City
- Miss Sparks – Riley Jensen – Sparks, Nev.
- Miss Southern Counties – Randi Sundquist – Elko, Nev.
- Miss Truckee Meadows – Ashley Tarchione – Henderson, Nev.
- Miss University of Nevada-Reno – Diana Sweeney – Moundhouse, Nev.
2012 Miss Nevada’s Outstanding Teen Contestants
- Miss Carson City’s OT – Paris Ragan – Carson City
- Miss Clark County’s OT – Sabrina Singh – Henderson
- Miss Douglas County’s OT – Makenzie Lea St. Cyr – Reno
- Miss Eagle Valley’s OT – Brooklyn Maw – Carson City
- Miss Elko County’s OT – Miranda Powell – Spring Creek, Nev.
- Miss Lake Mead’s OT – Baylee Bernstein – Las Vegas
- Miss Lake Tahoe’s OT – Samantha Byassee – Carson City
- Miss Mesquite’s OT – Tiffany Hunt – Cramichale, Calif.
- Miss Mt. Charleston’s OT – Audrey Morris – Las Vegas
- Miss Northern Counties’ OT – McKenna Hines – Spring Creek, Nev.
- Miss Red Rock’s OT – Joy Thompson – Las Vegas
- Miss Reno-Sparks’ OT – Jordan Lamoreaux – Carson City
- Miss Silver State’s OT – Megan Thompson – Las Vegas
- Miss Southern Counties’ OT – Ellie Smith – Henderson, Nev.
- Miss Truckee Meadows’ OT – Katarina Clark – Reno
- Miss Washoe County’s OT – Emilie Heidenreich, Sparks, Nev.
About the Miss Nevada Organization
The Miss Nevada Organization is a volunteer driven organization that organizes, executes and oversees the Miss Nevada and Miss Nevada’s Outstanding Teen competitions which are official state preliminary competitions to the Miss America and Miss America’s Outstanding Teen pageants. Both titles provide a statewide forum for today’s young women and teens to express their viewpoints, talents and accomplishments to the public during the ensuing year. The Miss America Organization is the largest provider of scholarships for women in the country and contestants within both programs at the local and state level earn scholarship money provided by the Miss Nevada Organization. www.missnevada.org