Help! My microphone failed during my talent performance!
The most common crisis contestants face in the pageant talent competition is a microphone problem…So you had better be prepared because this is a fairly common one.
If your mike goes dead during your talent performance…
- Don’t allow the distraction to fluster you.
- Don’t stop singing.
- Unobtrusively check the microphone to see if its switch is off. If so, calmly turn it back on.
- If there is a technical problem with the mike, continue performing – even if the audience can’t hear you.
- The audio crew will be rushing to correct the problem. Usually they can do so quickly, so watch for signals.
- If a technical problem can’t be corrected, someone will walk onstage and hand you a new mike.
- Accept it and continue performing without pausing, although a quick nod or smile of appreciation is fine.
When faced with such a microphone malfunction, view the problem as an opportunity to gain points for composure under pressure.
“The judges are looking for a girl who can handle any situation,” explains Cheryl Prewitt-Salem, who won the 1980 Miss America title after surviving a microphone problem during her talent performance during the live television broadcast. She calmly kept on performing as the stage team worked to resolve the problem. “I think it made a big impression that I just went on and acted like nothing was wrong,” she observes. “Judges are looking for a girl who can handle a crisis, a girl who can handle an uncomfortable situation.”
In fact, judges will often award bonus points to someone who maintains her composure during an onstage problem, so view such incidents as an opportunity.
Finally, remember that judges are instructed to “focus on the things over which the contestant has control.” And the one thing you always have control over is your response.
Always keep your cool.
Pageant Talent Tips
- What Judges Look for in the Pageant Talent Competition
- How to Prepare for the Pageant Talent Competition
- Pageant Talent Tips for Singers
- Tips for Classical Singers in Pageants
- Best Music for Pageant Singers
- Pageant Music for Classical Musicians and Dancers
- Best Pageant Talent Music for Musicians
- Best Pageant Music for Dance, Ballet, Gymnastics, Baton, Acrobatics in the Talent Competition
- Pageant Dancers Have it Made! The Many Types of Dance Used as Pageant Talents
- Pageant Costuming for Dancers, Baton, Gymnastics in Talent Competition
- Outfits for Pageant Instrumental Talents | Costuming for Pageant Musicians
- What Should Pageant Singers Wear? | Best Pageant Costuming for Vocalists
- Your Pageant Talent Costuming Sets the Mood for Your Performance
- How to Win Pageants: A Complete Guide