The South dominates as the Miss America Quality of Life award winners are acknowledged at the 2013 Arrival Ceremony
This year’s Quality of Life finalists were announced today at the Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino in Las Vegas during the 2013 Miss America Pageant Arrival Ceremony.
On hand to announce the finalists were Sean McBurney Vice President and Assistant General Manager of PH Resort and Casino, Vince Alberta Vice President of Public Affairs of the Las Vegas Convention Authority; Sam Haskell, III, Chairman of the Board of the Miss America Organization and Art McMaster, President and CEO of the Miss America Organization.
The seven finalists and their personal platform issues are:
- Miss Alabama Anna Laura Bryan – P.A.W.S for Autism: People and Animals Working Side-by-side
- Miss Delaware Alyssa Murray – Mela-No-MORE: Skin Cancer Advocacy & Awareness
- Miss Idaho Whitney Wood – Handbags of Hope: “Giving Women Confidence They Can Carry”
- Miss Maryland Joanna Guy – Jo’s Jars
- Miss Mississippi Marie Wicks – Eyesight To All Regions (eyes.T.A.R.)
- Miss Tennessee Chandler Lawson – “Feed Hope: Fight Child Hunger”
- Miss Washington Mandy Schendel – Do Something: Enriching Youth, Cultivating Leaders
The Quality of Life Awards were introduced in 1988 to recognize contestants who excel in their commitment to community service. In order to be considered for the Quality of Life Award, contestants must submit an application describing their involvement with Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals, the national platform of the Miss America Organization, and their own personal platform issue.
The winner of the Quality of Life Award will receive a $6,000 scholarship, the first runner-up will win a $4,000 scholarship, and the second runner-up will win a $2,000 scholarship. Winners will be announced at Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino on January 10th during the 10:00 a.m. (PST) Miss America press conference.
Additional information about the Miss America Organization can be found at www.MissAmerica.org.
For tickets to attend the Miss America Competition, call Ticketmaster at 1-877-307-8667 or visit www.ticketmaster.com.
Sharon Pearce – Sharon@missamerica.org
- Photos courtesy of the Miss America Organization
View Miss America pageant results for the January 2012 pageant
About the Miss America Pageant
The Miss America Organization is one of the nation’s leading achievement programs and the world’s largest provider of scholarship assistance for young women. Last year, the Miss America Organization and its state and local organizations made available more than $45 million in cash and scholarship assistance. Website: www.missamerica.org