A wide range of dance styles have been successfully used as pageant talents.
When it comes to the talent competition, good dancers and gymnasts (even a baton-twirler if she is superb) are among the most likely performances to catch pageant judges’ attention. Dancers performing ballet, tap, Hawaiian, Polynesian, Tahitian, middle eastern or belly dances, acrobatic dances, the Cancan and the Charleston all made pageant national finals or better.
In fact, good non-vocal talents are statistically slightly more likely to make pageant national semi-finals than singers.Why? With over half of all entrants being singers, an entertaining dancer simply stands out from the crowd. But one of the secrets to selling such dance or other non-vocal talents is picking entertaining music that both the performer and her audience can enjoy.
Here is a list of the types of dance talents that have been used successfully….
Note: (*) indicates she won the national title; (T) indicates the performance won talent.
Miss Michigan Kaye Lani Rafko, won the 1988 Miss America crown performing a Tahitian dance in the talent competition.
- ballet en pointe (T***)
- Chinese sword dance
- Hawaiian / hula (*)
- Tahitian dancing (*)
- the Charleston (T)
- South Sea dance (T)
- tap dances (T)
- swing dance (T)
- Russian Cossack dance
- middle eastern / belly dancing
- Irish dance
- jazz (T)
- acrobatic dance
- Irish step dance (T)
- Character ballet
- contemporary ballet
In fact, the 2013 Miss America Pageant demonstrated clearly that if you are a good dancer, in the world of pageants, the world is your oyster! Miss New York, Mallory Hagan, earned the 2013 crown after performing an energetic tap dance to James Brown’s “Get Up Off That Thang”! Nina Davuluri, Her successor as Miss America 2014, performed a highly-demanding classical Bollywood fusion dance — which, by they way, was a first at the Miss America Pageant.
So be creative and let your imagination explore the multitude of options to help you stand out from the crown and enthrall the judges and audience. Here are some great tips for winning pageant music for the talent competition…
- Your Pageant Talent Costuming Sets the Mood for Your Performance
- Best Pageant Music for Dance, Ballet, Gymnastics, Baton, Acrobatics in the Talent Competition
- Pageant Costuming for Dancers, Baton, Gymnastics in Talent Competition
- Outfits for Pageant Instrumental Talents | Costuming for Pageant Musicians
- What Should Pageant Singers Wear? | Best Pageant Costuming for Vocalists
- What Judges Look for in the Pageant Talent Competition
- Pageant Talent Tips for Singers
- Tips for Classical Singers in Pageants
- Best Pageant Music for Singers
- Best Pageant Talent Music for Musicians
- Pageant Music for Classical Musicians and Dancers
- Pageant Dancers Have it Made! The Many Types of Dance Used as Pageant Talents
- How to Prepare for the Pageant Talent Competition