An Intimate Behind-the-Scenes Look at One of the Most Iconic Pageants in the World airs on a Special Edition of “20/20,” on Saturday, January 12, 8pm ET on ABC
“Pageant Confidential: The Road to Miss America,” a special edition of “20/20,” takes viewers behind the scenes of one of the most iconic pageants in the world for a surprising and intimate look at what it takes to become Miss America.
With exclusive, unfettered access to the Miss States winners, the unique hour follows the stories of several young women determined to don the coveted Miss America crown.
For over six months, ABC’s cameras capture candid moments in their journeys as they’re transformed to the polished Miss America contenders seen on stage. From sharing their vulnerable sides in rare moments at home to revealing their on-stage tricks, these are beautiful young women like you’ve never seen before.
Anchored by “Good Morning America” Anchor and former Miss America judge Lara Spencer, “Pageant Confidential” airs SATURDAY, JANUARY 12 (8:00-9:00 p.m., ET) on ABC, leading into the network’s coverage of “The 2013 Miss America Competition.”
Some of the competitors “Pageant Confidential: The Road to Miss America” follows include:
- Miss Maine Molly Bouchard, who lost more than 50 pounds before winning her state title
- The sparkling women of those big beauty pageant sash states like Miss South Carolina
Ali Rogers and Miss Florida Laura McKeeman
- Miss Iowa Mariah Cary, who struggles with Tourette’s syndrome
- Miss Montana Alexis Wineman, who tries to conquer her fears as the youngest and the only
autistic woman competing
- Miss Wyoming Lexie Madden, who was once a pig wrestler
- Miss New Mexico Candice Bennatt, who struggles financially to raise the money needed
- Miss Kentucky Jessica Casebolt, who shares her “secret weapon” for a perfect on
- Miss New York Mallory Hytes Hagan, who works as a waitress
- Miss California Leah Cecil, who flubs a mock interview and works on getting it
right in time for the big pageant
- Miss Utah Kara Arnold, a biochemist who hates manicures and getting her hair done
For the first time ever, cameras also go behind closed doors with the judges to document the tense first meeting with the competitors, the all-important first interview believed to determine which girls will go all the way. In addition to revealing the behind-the-scenes sweat, tears and secrets that go into the making of a beauty queen, “Pageant Confidential: The Road to Miss America” also delves into the history of this nearly 100-year-old hallmark of American society by looking at past pageants and the women who have been here before.
John Green is the executive producer of “Pageant Confidential: The Road to Miss America” and Roxanna Sherwood is the senior producer.
ABC News Media Relations: Alyssa Ziegler Apple (212) 456-1624
- Photos courtesy of the Miss America Organization
View Miss America pageant results for the January 2012 pageant
About the Miss America Pageant
The Miss America Organization is one of the nation’s leading achievement programs and the world’s largest provider of scholarship assistance for young women. Last year, the Miss America Organization and its state and local organizations made available more than $45 million in cash and scholarship assistance. Website: www.missamerica.org (Note: PageantCenter.com is not affiliated with the Miss America Organization)