NEW YORK, Dec. 19, 2012 NEW YORK, Dec. 19, 2012 /PRNewswire/ — In front of a worldwide audience of approximately 1 billion viewers, Miss USA, Olivia Culpo was crowned Miss Universe 2012 live from Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino in Las Vegas. The 61st Annual “Miss Universe® Competition” was broadcast live on NBC with a Spanish simulcast on Telemundo.
Miss USA, Olivia Culpo, grew up in Cranston, Rhode Island as the middle child of five. The 20 year-old comes from a family of avid musicians. Culpo and her siblings each play different instruments and she is an accomplished cellist. Her other interests include watching movies, visiting museums, attending concerts, and making people laugh. The last time Miss USA won the title of Miss Universe was in 1997.
Andy Cohen, host of Bravo’s “Watch What Happens: Live,” and Giuliana Rancic, co-anchor of “E! News,” hosted the “2012 Miss Universe Competition.” Jeannie Mai of Style Network’s “How Do I Look?” provided behind-the-scenes commentary throughout the LIVE telecast. Three-time Grammy-Award winning band, Train, and Australian Singing and Dancing Sensation, Timomatic performed.
The judges who sealed the fate of this year’s winner included:
- Pablo Sandoval, Two-Time World Series Champion and MVP with the San Francisco Giants
- Nigel Barker, Photographer and host of Oxygen’s new series The Face
- Diego Boneta, Singer and Actor best known for starring role in “Rock of Ages” film
- Scott Disick, TV Personality from the E! Network
- Brad Goreski, Celebrity Stylist and Star of Bravo’s It’s a Brad, Brad World
- Chef Masaharu Morimoto, Star of Iron Chef and Award-Winning Chef
- Ximena Navarrete, Miss Universe 2010 and Face of L’Oreal
- Claudia Jordan, TV & Radio Personality and competitor on the upcoming series All-Star Celebrity Apprentice
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, three-time US Olympic Gold Medalist in Beach Volleyball
- Lisa Vanderpump, Star on Bravo’s hit series The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills and new series Vanderpump Rules.
Throughout the two-hour event, contestants from nearly 90 countries and territories around the world competed in three categories: swimsuit, evening gown and personality interview. Miss Universe 2011, Leila Lopes of Angola, crowned her successor at the conclusion of the two-hour primetime telecast.
- First Runner-Up: Miss Universe Philippines, Janine Tugonon will assume the duties of Miss Universe 2012 if the titleholder for some reason cannot fulfill her responsibilities.
- Second Runner-Up: Miss Universe Venezuela, Irene Sofia Esser Quintero.
Rest of Top Five:
- Miss Universe Australia, Renae Ayris
- Miss Universe Brazil, Gabriela Markus.
Rest of Top Ten:
- Miss Russia, Elizabeth Golonova
- Miss Universe France, Marie Payet
- Miss Universe Hungary, Agnes Konkoly
- Miss Universe South Africa, Melinda Bam
- Miss Universe Mexico, Karina Gonzalez
Rest of Top Sixteen:
- Miss Universe Turkey, Cagil Ozge Ozkul
- Miss Universe Peru, Nicole Faveron
- Miss Universe Poland, Marcelina Zawadzka
- Miss Universe Croatia, Elizabeta Burg
- Miss Universe Kosovo, Diana Avdiu
- Miss Universe India, Shilpa Singh
Miss Photogenic Universe™ Award: Miss Universe Kosovo, Diana Avdiu. An expert panel chose the delegate they thought best exemplifies beauty through the lens of a camera. She was awarded a $1,000 cash prize and a gift from pageant sponsor Diamond Nexus Labs.
Miss Congeniality Universe™ Award: Miss Universe Guatemala, Laura Godoy Calle. This award reflects the respect and admiration of the delegate’s peers who voted for her as the most congenial, charismatic and inspirational participant. She was awarded a $1,000 cash prize and a gift from Diamond Nexus Labs.
The Miss Universe® 2012 prize package includes:
- a year’s supply of hair care products and tools from Farouk Systems
- a custom diamond tiara and jewelry designed by Diamond Nexus
- a shoe wardrobe from Chinese Laundry
- eveningwear wardrobe by Sherri Hill
- swimwear wardrobe by Kooey Australia
- a year’s supply of makeup products from MAC
- a year’s supply of sun care products from Australian Gold
- a one-year scholarship (including housing) from the New York Film Academy
- luxury accommodations in a New York City apartment for the duration of her reign, including living expenses
- a year-long salary as Miss Universe; personal services including membership to Gravity Fitness and hair services from John Barrett Salon
- modeling portfolio by leading fashion photographer Fadil Berisha
- dermatology and skincare services provided by Dr. Cheryl Thellman-Karcher
- professional health and nutrition consultation by Tanya Zuckerbrot, MS, RD
- dental services by Dr. Jan Linhart, D.D.S.
- casting opportunities and professional representation by the Miss Universe Organization
- extensive travel opportunities representing sponsors and charitable partners
- access to various New York City events including movie premiers and screenings, Broadway shows and launch parties
- year-long consultation with a fashion stylist; and access to a personal appearance wardrobe
ABOUT THE Miss Universe®PAGEANT
The Miss Universe Organization, a Donald J. Trump and NBC Universal joint venture, is a global community empowering role models of beauty, health and leadership for young women of today. As part of the Miss Universe Organization, Miss Universe is dedicated to partnering with charities around the world, and to increasing awareness for HIV/Aids prevention. For more information, visit: www.missuniverse.com.
Follow Miss Universe:
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/OfficialMissUniverse
- YouTube: www.youtube.com/OfficialMissUniverse
- Twitter: TheRealMissU, Miss UniverseOrg
SOURCE Miss Universe Organization
PageantCenter.com is not affiliated in any way with the Miss Universe – Organization. Miss Universe® is a registered trademark of the Miss Universe Organization. All trademarks on this web site whether registered or not – are the property of their respective owners.