The road to winning pageants begins with a simple childhood fantasy, referred to as “the dream of a million girls” by the famous pageant coronation song, “There She Is.” The appeal of that dream of gliding down the runway with the glittering crown and roses is that the tantalizing fantasy can become reality.
Whether the title is Miss USA, Miss America’s Outstanding Teen, Miss Universe, or Miss World, several lucky young women earn those coveted titles each year. As contestants appreciate, the quest for the crown is not merely a fantasy but an achievable dream.
“When girls come in they tell me, ‘I’ve dreamed about this since I was five years old!'” observes Kathleen Munson, a pageant consultant who has coached numerous state and national titleholders. “They want to live the fairy tale.” Someone reading this will.
Get Started! Take your first steps on the road to the crown…
But it takes more than a wave of a magic wand to live this modern-day fairy tale. Getting started in pageants, transforming the dream of winning a pageant title into reality, requires knowledge of what it takes to win, consistent hard work to develop those qualities, practice to perfect presentation, and effective strategies for success.
“The ones who are the most prepared, who have all the bases covered going in, are the ones who are the most successful,” asserts David Bartley, a noted pageant photographer who has worked with numerous state and national-level titleholders. The women who win have one thing in common. They made the least mistakes, and they were the best prepared.”
Any young woman from any part of the country who is willing to invest the time and effort to develop her potential fully can transform her dreams into reality. It’s a matter of developing into a champion step-by-step.
“The women who win have one thing in common. They made the least mistakes, and they were the best prepared.” — David Bartley, Pageant Photographer
Whether you are a newcomer or an experienced contestant, getting started in pageants and achieving your goals comes down to this: Get started, develop yourself step-by-step, and enter again and again and again in pursuit of your dream.
“Down South we put contestants on a ‘four-year plan’,” observes Kathleen Munson. “Enter the first year to see if it’s an experience you enjoy. Enter the second year with the idea of making the top ten. Enter the third year with the idea of making the top five. Enter the fourth year with the expectation of winning the pageant and going on to do well at the nationals. Don’t plan to enter a pageant the first year and win the national title,” she says. “You’ve got to know what you need to work toward.”
Can You Win a Pageant? Yes, So Go For It!
“Only one girl can win the crown. But any girl who enters pageants with a spirit of competition and a desire to better herself through that competition will always be a winner in the eyes of those who love her.” — Mary Donnelly-Haskell, Former Miss Mississippi
The first step in turning your dreams into reality is understanding that famous titles are won by real people. Real girls grow up to be Miss World, Miss USA, Miss Universe and Miss America. And, quite frankly, most of the time, not a soul around them ever suspected that that little girl next door would one day walk down a runway on live television wearing one of the most coveted crowns in the world. But dreams do come true.
Many of you reading this will become Miss America, Miss USA, America’s Junior Miss, and Miss Teen USA. Some of you will step into Cinderella’s slippers and wear the crown before the year is out.
This section is devoted to tips for competing in the Evening Gown Competition in pageants. Topics include:
- The art of winning the Evening Gown competition.
- What judges look for in the Evening Gown competition.
- The secrets to picking a winning evening gown.
- How to choose the right gown for your body style ( a step-by-step guide).
- Do you need an expensive gown to win? (How a homemade gown beat a $10,000 Mackie original).
- The gown must fit the pageant.
- Evening gown competition mistakes you must avoid.
- How to choose the best evening gown competition color for you.
- What really wins: A list of best colors to wear in the evening gown competition (the colors win the most).
- How to use gown color to convey a specific image to judges.
- Understand the effects of stage lighting on evening gown color.
- Don’t be afraid to be different in evening gown.
- How to gain points for your evening gown walk.
- Rules for choosing your jewelry, bra and undies for the Evening Gown competition.
- What shoes are best in the Evening Gown competition?
- [Read more…]
This section is devoted to pageant tips for competing in the pageant interviews with judges. Pageant tips include:
- It’s a job interview…Be prepared!
- The different types of pageant interviews you need to prepare for.
- What do judges look for in pageant interviews?
- What to do before your pageant interviews.
- Strategies to help you win pageant interviews.
- What judges are likely to ask you.
- Speak like a winner. How to improve your speaking skills.
- I’m a nervous wreck! How to calm interview jitters.
- The importance of mock pageant interviews.
- Pageant question samples
- How to handle those tricky “What is your worst fault” questions.
- Did you know this irritates most judges?
- Help! What to do when you don’t know the answer.
- How to handle difficult judges questions.
- The pageant interview mistakes you must avoid.
- Did you know you can score points for humor?
- Show the judges your personality (How to stand out from the crowd).
- Are you a smart Girl? Use it to your advantage.
- What to wear to your pageant interview
- Interview clothing errors to avoid.
- What is your body language telling the judges?
- [Read more…]
This section is devoted to tips for competing in the Swimsuit Competition in pageants. Topics include:
- What judges look for in the swimsuit competition
- How to pick a pageant swimsuit
- which styles and colors are best (meaning win the most!)
- the best pageant tips from swimsuit competition trainers
- how to build a winning body for the swimsuit competition
- how to correct figure flaws through exercise
- The best diet for swimsuit competition
- how to shape your Body to Win
- Secrets to Hide Your Figure Flaws
- the Winning Pageant Diet.
- [Read more…]
This section is devoted to pageant tips for competing in the Talent Competition in pageants. Pageant tips include:
- What judges look for in talent
- Do you have to be a singer to win?
- talent tips for singers, instrumental talents, and dancers
- how to handle a microphone like a pro
- how to perform like a professional
- how to manage talent competition disasters (yes, they happen!)
- Effective costuming for the talent competition
- The best music for the talent competition (meaning what wins the most!)
- the importance of showmanship
- why talent coaching is so important
- Best talent music for singers, dancers, musicians, classical talents, baton, acrobatics and gymnastics
- Can unusual talents win Miss America? Yes, and we name them!
- what to do when you have no talent.
- Great ideas for the talent competition!
- Read more…